The switch from morphine to vicodin was not quite as smooth today. We forgot to ask for it on time and the pain got away from him somewhat, but he laid low until this evening and now its pretty much back under control. I’m going to set my alarm so we can ask for it on schedule tonight. For some reason at this point, and this close to discharge they want the medication to be given as needed and asked for by the patient (or his wife :-) )
Ok – here’s the speed bump. As I mentioned yesterday, everything they took out of him was sent to pathology. That included about 15 lymph nodes. Now, this cancer is known for NOT going into the blood or the lymph system, but in this case, and against all odds, they found cancer in one of the lymph nodes. We’re not sure at this point if this is a game changer, or a speed bump. The doctor said NOT to focus on this right now, but rather stay focused on how well Steve’s doing and on him continuing to get better . Dr. Lowy said that when we go in the first week of April for our post-op appointment we’ll have a long discussion about the details, implications and his recommended course of treatment. They’re doing further tests on the tissue and will then be able to look at drugs specially designed to target the specific type they find. As we get more information about this we’ll keep you posted, but for now, we remain focused on Steve’s remarkable progress from surgery.
So …. Here we are in a waiting game again. I know that God’s hand is on our lives right now as much as when things are going great. He continues to love us, sustain us, and be with us through the ups and downs, and the tears and storms of life.
There’s a song I remember from when I was a child. “…many things about tomorrow, I don’t seem to understand, but I know who holds tomorrow, and I know He holds my hand.” We continue to be thankful and rejoice in Steve’s amazing recovery from surgery and will continue to keep you posted.
thank you for your continuing love, support, words of encouragement and prayers.
We love you,
~ Keren
No comments:
Post a Comment